When communication breaks down and conflict arises, how can you address it constructively?
What steps can you take to improve your communication and conflict resolution skills?
The APADRC offers a 40-hour Basic Mediation Training with an emphasis on building cross-cultural competency. Open to all members of the community, this highly interactive training introduces effective communication strategies, multicultural conflict resolution and peace theory, along with a full day of role plays with coaches from the APADRC – preparing you to be a neutral mediator in community conflicts.
- Our training meets and exceeds the minimum requirements of the State of California Dispute Resolutions Programs Act for mediation training.
- Participants will receive a “Certificate of Attendance” upon completion of the entire 40 hours of training, which is a combination of online, self-directed material and in-person sessions.
- A “Certificate of Completion” is available for qualified individuals interested in volunteering and completing 160 hours of hands-on mediation/conciliation work at the APADRC.
- There are two portions to the training: online and in-person sessions.
Online Training: provided 1 week prior to first in-person training session, to be completed at each participant’s own pace.
In-person Training: Conducted on three consecutive days in late September, 2019 (9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.) *Exact dates provided in August, 2019.
Day 1: Peace & Conflict Theory, Building Communication Skills
Day 2: Mediation – Culture and the ADR Process
Day 3: Application of Mediation in Role Plays
- Regular Registration: $645 general
- Non-profit/government Organization Registration: $545
- Students (w/valid ID) & Senior Citizen Registration: $445
- APADRC volunteers and interns: $25 administrative fee (non-refundable). For information on volunteering or interning with the APADRC, please see our volunteer page.
- Discounts may be available to organizations sending more than one individual to the training.
The Asian Pacific American Dispute Resolution Center (APADRC) is committed to both maintaining and encouraging diversity in our body of community mediators through our fee waiver program. There are limited partial and full fee-waivers available for individuals interested in training but who are unable to afford the fees. Please contact Christina Kataoka at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How to Register
If you would like to enroll in the 40-Hour training, or have already been accepted into our volunteer Conflict Resolution Specialist internship, please click on the image below or go to 40-Hour Basic Mediation Training Registration.
For more information on this training, please feel free to send us an email with the Subject Title: “Fall 40-Hour Basic Mediation Training”.